There are many college students that have a car or want to buy a car to go to school and for their daily needs, however before they can drive a car they need to buy car insurance. The problem that most college students face is that they don’t have a huge budget and car insurance for college students is expensive.
For teenagers and young people under 25 years old car insurance is more expensive than for older people due to the many accidents caused by them. But as you age and you pass 25 your rates will lower significantly especially if you have a good driving record.
However you need to have car insurance coverage now, so what can you do to lower your rates? Here are a few tips that you can use:
– Keep your driving mileage low, try to use your car just when it is really necessary, if you keep you mileage below 10,000 miles a year, you may be able to lower your rates or get a discount.
– Ask for students discounts, many companies offer discounts for students with 3.0 gpa grades.
– Install security devices on your car, the safer your car is the less prone to accidents and injuries you are. Install car alarm, anti lock theft, air bags, etc.
– Have a good credit score, it shows that you are a responsible person.
– Take a driving course certificate
– Use a cheap car that is not very expensive to repair or replace, avoid sports cars.
– Ask for any possible additional discounts, you may be able to get a discount for not driving at night.
Those tips will help you to get lower rates and be able to afford your car insurance coverage, however keep in mind that for young people auto insurance is not very cheap. If you increase your deductible you may be able to lower your premium costs.