The best tip to be an organized student is to just do it. Get right at the school work and do the best you can with the time you have.
Some kids have the problem of being a perfectionist and will not like to turn in work that they think is not that good. Doing this means that the student will get a lot of zeroes. Obviously, zero is worse than a low mark which is what I am pointing out to you.
That is my best advice to have an organized student, do your best work in the time you have, with the energy you have available and with the ability you have right then and see what happens. Even the worst work turned in is better than the best work not turned in.
That is what you need to do, turn in your work when it is due. That is a life lesson and one that the schools are trying to teach the kids, meet the deadlines. The world is full of deadlines and the sooner you understand that, the better.
Here are a few other tips to be a better organized student:
1) Use a planner book to keep track of assignments. The schools now even have their own planner books for sale and I think it is a really good idea.
2) Work on assignments right away. Just get started a little bit, it will help to get you started thinking about a big project. You may find it really is not that hard and finish right away or at least you will get it partly done.
3) Write your name and the date on all your work.
4) When doing math, do it neatly. This really helps to avoid mistakes.
5) Learn the multiplication tables from 0 to 12. A lot of kids really struggle doing their math homework quickly because they do not have the multiplication table memorized completely. They know most of it but not fast.
6) Do the best you can in the time you have. Kids may be involved in other things. They may not feel well. So it would be impossible to do perfect, excellent work all the time. To me, that does not matter. Just do the best you can with the time and energy you have.
If the student is embarrassed about the quality of their work, that means they need to spend more time at the front end doing a better job. Trying to not be embarrassed is the motivation to do better and be an organized student.